Today’s guest is Andrea Speed, whose Infected series is being re-launched under the banner of DSP Publications, Dreamspinner Press’s new imprint for genre fiction. You can find links to all the Infected books and the other DSPP books released so far on the website.
With the relaunch of the Infected series, I decided to interview some of the characters. But this time, I’d let the internet spit out random questions for my characters to answer. Today’s vict- I mean interviewee is Holden Krause.
1. If you were a crayon, what color would you be?
Holden: Glitter. I’d be the first and only glitter crayon in existence.
2. What do you like to cook?
Holden: Nothing. I prefer other people do the cooking.
3. What class in school has proven to be the least useful?
Holden: All of them.
4. What question should you never ask a man?
Holden: That’s the best you’ve got, huh?
5. What is your favorite season?
Holden: Fall, probably. I’m not really sure why, as it was a real bitch when I was homeless. But then again, all seasons are a bitch when you’re homeless.
6. What three adjectives best describe you?
Holden: Sexy, mysterious, ruthless.
7. What would be your personal hell?
Holden: Living with my parents.
8. What cartoon character do you identify with?
Holden: Brock Samson
9. Do you have any hidden talents?
Holden: A few. But if I show them to you, it might be the last thing you ever see. So let’s just leave it there, shall we?
10. How would your friends describe you to someone you have not met?
Holden: I’m a fixer. If you have a problem, odds are I can help you find a solution. For the right price, of course. I can be altruistic to my friends, but you’d better be a good friend. I’m open to bartering.
11. If you were to write a novel what would it be about?
Holden: Street kids. Throwaways, people who fall through the cracks, people you ignore every day of your goddamn life. Not that I’m singling out anyone in particular.
12. How do you think the world will end?
Holden: However it ends, stupid old straight white men will be behind it. They always are.
13. Who is there in your life that you would take a bullet for?
Holden: Oh fuck. Roan, I suppose. I’ve come close.
14. Is there anything that you absolutely refuse to do under any circumstances?
Holden: Water sports and scat play. We all have our things, but those are so not mine. I know some people who will go along with it if the price is right. Let me know if you need numbers.
15. If you could have one superpower what would it be?
Holden: Reality warping. Go big or go home.
16. If you were in a band, what part would you play?
Holden: I’d be the dynamic front man, of course, with an insatiable appetite for drugs and groupies. I would hope I’d die of excess before I got fat and old and ended up on some goddamn reality show.
17. What do you believe will last forever?
Holden: Styrofoam and stupidity.
18. On a scale of 1-10 how honest are you?
Holden: Zero. Oh, maybe minus ten. Can we get into imaginary numbers? I think that’s best. I’d never trust a single thing I say. Hell, I might be lying right now.
19. If you had a 60 second Super Bowl ad, what would you want to show a billion people?
Holden: Hardcore man on man porn. It could only do the world some good.
20. I’m really good at …
Holden: Evening the score
In a world where a werecat virus has changed society, Roan McKichan, a born infected and ex-cop, works as a private detective trying to solve crimes involving other infecteds.
The murder of a former cop draws Roan into an odd case where an unidentifiable species of cat appears to be showing an unusual level of intelligence. He juggles that with trying to find a missing teenage boy, who, unbeknownst to his parents, was “cat” obsessed. And when someone is brutally murdering infecteds, Eli Winters, leader of the Church of the Divine Transformation, hires Roan to find the killer before he closes in on Eli.
Working the crimes will lead Roan through a maze of hate, personal grudges, and mortal danger. With help from his tiger-strain infected partner, Paris Lehane, he does his best to survive in a world that hates and fears their kind… and occasionally worships them.